A set of 30 (Book of Common Prayer) psalm chants, for liturgical use, using 20th century harmonic language
This set of 30 (Book of Common Prayer) psalm chants dates from 2001 to 2008 and is for Anglican liturgical use.
Certain psalms are suitable for use at Morning Prayer (MP), or Evening Prayer (EP) as indicated, but the chants may be used arbitrarily for any psalm.
It is assumed that the longer canticles or psalms (e.g. Benedicite) would use two chants to provide expressive variety; any of the set may be used, as appropriate, in combination.
The harmonic language is deliberately personalised to give a fresh approach to this established medium; traditional rules of harmony are waived, and sprinklings of mild astringency are included to give a slightly contemporary flavour, whilst still respecting the overall convention.
Styles of Anglican chanting in parish churches and cathedrals of the Anglican Communion vary enormously. It is envisaged that these chants will be used freely, with some verses unaccompanied, or the two sides of the choir alternating verses. The emphasis should be on expressive contrast.
Proper psalms on certain days
- Psalm 19, Caeli enarrant, Christmas Day (MP), Bb major
- Psalm 32, Beati, quorum, Ash Wednesday (MP),Bb major
- Psalm 54, Deus,in nomine, Good Friday (MP), E minor
- Psalm 111, Confitebor tibi, Easter Day (MP), A major
- Psalm 8, Domine, Dominus noster, Ascension Day (MP), Eb major
- Psalm 48, Magnus Dominus, Whitsunday (MP), Ab major
- Psalm 121, Levavi oculos, Accession (MP), Ab major
- Psalm 95, Venite, exultemus Domino, (MP), C major
- Te Deum laudamus, (MP), D major
- Benedicite, omnia opera, (MP), D major
- Benedictus, (MP), F major
- Psalm 100, Jubilate deo, (MP), F major
- Magnificat, (EP), G major
- Psalm 98, Cantate Domino, (EP), F major
- Nunc dimittis, (EP), F major
- Psalm 67, Deus misereatur, (EP), E minor
The Psalms of David (for general use)
- Psalm 3, Domine, quid multiplicati?, (MP Day 1), A minor
- Psalm 13, Usque quo, Domine?, (EP Day 2), B minor
- Psalm 16, Conserva me, Domine, (MP Day 3), Bb major
- Psalm 23, Dominus regit me, (EP Day 4), G major
- Psalm 46, Deus noster refugium, (MP Day 9), E major
- Psalm 47, Omnes gentes, plaudit, (EP Day 9), G major
- Psalm 70, Deus, in adjutorium, (EP Day 13), F minor
- Psalm 93, Dominus regnevit, (EP Day 18), Eb major
- Psalm 113, Laudate, pueri, (MP Day 23), C major
- Psalm 117, Laudate Dominum, (MP Day 24), E major
- Psalm 122, Laetatus sum, (MP Day 27), Eb major
- Psalm 134, Ecce nunc, (MP Day 28), Bbmajor
- Psalm 138, confitebur tibi, (EP Day 28), A major
- Psalm 150, Laudate Dominum, (EP Day 30), C major
I've listened to your chants today..... love them, especially the canticles!
Rodney Parker, former D/M Band of the Grenadier Guards. 13 May 2010