A march for organ suitable as entry or exit music for a bride, or as a lively general-purpose organ voluntary
- Op.28 No.1
- 2 minutes, 9 seconds
- For Hilary and Euan
Despite its title, this march is suitable as entry or exit music for the bride, (or as a lively general-purpose organ voluntary).
It dates from August 1978, when it was written for the wedding of the composer's sister. It was played again for the composer's second wedding, to Rachel in September 2007.
As originally intended, the initial A section is complete in itself, and perfectly suitable for smaller churches or registry offices, where 35 seconds of music is sufficient. It is centred around a confident D major, but makes use of the composer's style of 'remote' chording within a key.
The B minor section, which was addded in 2008, is initially more restrained and employs a walking bass. It develops rhythmic ideas from the opening, and hints at F sharp minor before working its way back to a triumphant reprise of the first section.
- 19 August 1978 at the wedding of Hilary and Euan in Bath, UK.
- 8 September 2007 at the wedding of Rachel and Richard in Oundle, Northants, UK.
- 1 November 2009 at Choral Evensong for All Saints’ Day at St Andrew’s Church, Lyddington, Rutland,UK
- 5 August 2012 at Harringworth Church, Northamptonshire,UK
- 16 August 2014 at the wedding of Francesca and James, St Andrew's Church, Lyddington, Rutland,UK
- 3 July 2015 at the wedding of Kim and Dean, St Andrew's Church, Lyddington, Rutland,UK
- 12 September 2015 at the wedding of Sarah & Graham, St Andrew's, Lyddington, Rutland, UK
- 13 September 2015 Eucharist service at St Peter's, Empingham, Rutland, UK
- 9 April 2017 (twice) St Peter & St Paul`s Church, Wing, Rutland UK - 09.30 Morning Service and at the 2pm wedding of Aimie and Stewart.
- 27 May 2017 at the wedding of James and Georgia, St Andrew's Church, Lyddington, Rutland, UK
- 1 July 2018 morning service at St Peter & St Paul church, Preston, Rutland UK
- 22 July 2018 morning service at Uppingham Parish Church, Rutland, UK.
- 16 September 2018 morning Eucharist at the church of St John the Baptist, North Luffenham, Rutland UK.